Tuesday, December 08, 2015

Mystery Quilt and Fiber Art Tutorial for "Ablaze"

... as a Quilter

I've been working on the Bonnie Hunter Mystery quilt trying to keep up with the clues each week. I've only made a few of the units but thought I'd put together at least a little something for my picture. Of course I don't know what the ending blocks will look like. It's a mystery! Click HERE to see what others are doing with the mystery quilt.

I made this small piece of fiber art as a gift for our guild's annual Christmas party. I call it "Ablaze" and it's small, only 7"X10."

I marked the fabric on the left into 1 1/8" grid on the diagonal and cut the fabric on the right that has fusible on it into 1" squares.


 The squares were arranged and fused to the background leaving 1/4" space to see the background.

 It was then layered with backing and batting and heavily quilted with lines +/- 1/8" apart.

Then I drew a tree on paper, traced it to black fabric with fusible, cut it out, and ironed it to the quilted background.

Next I cut small squares for the leaves and fused them on to the branches and quilted over the tree with dark thread.

I faced the piece, labeled it, and made a hanger for it.

"Ablaze"


Linking to:
Creations by Nina-Marie    

7 comments:

Sharyn Mallow Woerz said...

I like your idea for the mystery :)
And your creativity on the other projects, well done.
Sharyn in Kalama

Cheryl in Friendsville said...

Pretty fiber art! And I like your mystery colors.

Unknown said...

Thanks for telling how you did it. It is beautiful!!!

Paige said...

Did you mark the background with a hera marker? Wish I was the recipient of your mini at the Christmas party!

Art by Rhoda Forbes said...

I love your colors for the MQ. Very interested in your art piece it is wonderful. I have a lot of hand dyed fabric that I see to covet, what a great idea.

Kathleen said...

Your art piece is beautiful. You have a lot of patience!!

Mary said...

Found you through the Quiltville Link-up. I love the way your concept for the Mystery Quilt pieces is laid out. It will be interesting to see what happens. Your other project, Ablaze is amazing. Thanks for sharing the very clear directions. Mary / www.stitchinggrandma.wordpress.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...