Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Silo Quilt

I’m excited to be teaching a class on how I make an art quilt from a photo.
IMG_0327  IMG_1073

The sky is acting as my background and I fused the green bushes, pale grass, and road to it in that order. Then I layered the top, batting, and the backing and quilted the sky with fairly straight lines.
IMG_1065

After quilting the green bushes with meandering circles and the grass with a straight stitch I am ready to iron my pre-made silo to the background.
IMG_1066


Ready for detail on the silo.
IMG_1067


Using a fine disappearing chalk marker I drew curved lines for the wire that goes around the silo and then quilted those lines with black thread.
IMG_1069

Then I outlined the silo and chute with a triple straight stitch and added dark areas on the chute.
IMG_1072

Finally I added the dead vines that had grown up the side, added more grass, and then quilted the road out front.
IMG_1073

I thought maybe I could call it ‘done,’ and go ahead and square it up and bind it; but I’m thinking now that I really should add those 2 cedar trees before I call it finished. What do you think? This is a small piece, only 8”X10”.

Esther’s Blog 

I Quilt @ Pretty Bobbins
My Quilt Infatuation    

15 comments:

Emily H said...

I would love to be in your class. Does every one use the same photo?

Donna said...

My question was going to be the same as Emily's above - do you teach from that photo or does everyone bring in her own? I am going to say yes to adding those 2 cedar trees because I am fascinated to see how it is done! So creative, Julia!

coleensr said...

I love seeing how your ideas progress into reality. And yes, I would definitely put the trees on. Another suggestion would be to make some of the vines on the silo in darker thread and let some of them go off the silo on the left so it isn't a smooth line.

Myra said...

Add the cedar trees.

Anonymous said...

Hi Julia,

You're so talented. The thread picture is so very life-like. I am always amazed by quilters who are also artists. I could do it if I was taught, but never on my own. As for the trees, I think you should add them.

Thank you for sharing your life with me and everyone else. 8-)

xo Linda

Sabrina said...

This is so awesome! I think trees would look lovely, but it definitely isn't lacking!

Tanyia said...

wow that is amazing! One day I hope to be able to do things like that!

Stopping by from Lee's hop
http://www.domesticdeficitdisorder.blogspot.com/2014/01/wip-wednesday-jan-22nd.html

Ruth said...

Fabulous! I love how it looks!

Kathy Kinsella said...

Great art quilt ... I might add a few bushes or trees to it ... more on one side than the other :)

NancyL said...

I love landscape quilts.

buttonsandstitching.com

thebutterflyquilter said...

Love this little art piece. Came out wonderful!

Kris said...

Cool and I love all the quilting!

Renee said...

What a neat quilt! I love the concept and the process, I bet the class will be so fun!

Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation said...

this is such a neat process, Julia!

Thanks for sharing at Needle and Thread Thursday!

:) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

Gemma@prettybobbins said...

As always Julia, your work is AMAZING!! Thanks for linking up and congratulations on the teaching xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...