Monday, February 20, 2012

On My Design Wall (Floor)

It's Monday morning and I'm still having problems with my quilt.


I started out with 2 separate tops and layered the dark one on the left on top of the lighter one on the right.


Then I made circles and cut out the top fabric inside of the circles to expose the lighter bottom fabric.


Next I added a gold satin stitch around the circles.


Then I started adding the stitched thread to make the ribbon. You can see how it is puckering and shrinking on the right side of the picture.


I decided to go ahead and finish the ribbon and went over it a second time with a slightly darker thread on the "big" edge. This caused more and more distortion.


So I decided to cut out the ribbon ... and now I need to decide what to do!

8 comments:

Marilyn W said...

OH MY! Knowing you, the end result will be spectacular! I can't wait.

Marilyn

Rhonda said...

Don't throw that ribbon away! Put it on something! It's too cool!

Lynette said...

The oft-unpredictable evolution of great quilts. . . ;D

(I'm curious - when you stitched the thread ribbon, did you use something under the fabric for stabilizer, or did that happen in spite of stabilizing?)

Rabid Quilter from California said...

I've seen this Libby Lehman technique and it's fabulous. Always wanted to try it myself. A strong paper, tear-away or soluable stabilizer is imperative for this type of project.

heather said...

Wow, that's really brave to cut out the ribbon. Can't wait to see what it will be.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

As others have already stated - a stabalizer would have prevented this - especially with some of the fabrics you used - really a must.

Nancy said...

Oh my, this is a lesson project! Agree with other comments that a stabilizer would keep the distortion down. But what now? A creative opportunity. Good luck, and show us how you resolve this.

Rhonda said...

I agree with the other commenters about stabilizing. I use a light weight tear away that works well. Any zig-zag or satin stitching just pulls the dickens out of some fabrics... but I know that your project will work out even better than you've imagined!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...